– The city of Amsterdam has been influenced by the different architecture movements present in the last century, transforming itself in different ways and losing, with the passing of time, the original relations between the central part of the city and the long fields that surrounded the area. Also, the industrialization of the systems has lead the city into a less “walked city”, with the presence of the cars.
– Our proposal works in a synergetic view, understanding the sustainable 2040 masterplan for the city of Amsterdam as the line to follow. Understanding that the recovery of the biking and pedestrian roads that connect the green areas are as important as the recovery of the relation between the city and the waterfront.
– Since the proposal of Aldo Van Eyck (Playgrounds) the city has been losing lots of publics spaces for children, the green areas were also moved to the ring part. The proposal aims to recover the idea of fragmented spaces inside the built city connected with other big integrated parks (15’ city).
– The rail systems and the high buildings had become a barrier between the waterfront and the inner city. The place is an opportunity to open the city to the waterfront and preserving the actual function and relation with it.
– The new building is articulated by the existing situations and the references of the traditional construction systems of Amsterdam, also following the morning and middle day sun conditions for the school.
– The construction system allows us to create all the spaces different. The variability of situations are fragmented and dispersed in the volume, following the child age criteria.
– The foundation is integrated in an eccentric volume, as a door to the pier, it can be used independently and in relation with the school programme.
– The space public is the result of the negative of the built volume.
– … where the learning is diverse, focusing on all type: intellectual, perceptive, natural…
– … that offers spaces that the city needs, leading the city to appropriate the interior spaces when they are needed, also, connecting the extreme points of the pier.
– … where all the spaces are different, obtaining different lights, lands, temperatures and space relations, bringing the outside inside and the inside outside.
– … for kids, teachers and citizens, obtaining spaces that allow different configurations.
– … worked in unfinished terms, leading children finish the spaces with all their live and fun, and leading the spaces to grow in all directions.