• Bauhaus Museum Dessau

  • 1365-EM2-DE-2015
  • by EM2N

The extension to the Bauhaus-Archiv and the Museum für Gestaltung is made up of three differentiated building blocks, which interact with the distinctive figure of the Gropius building to create a permeable ensemble around a shared courtyard. The public functions are newly organised in two transparent spatial vessels covered by slender, widely cantilevered roof slabs: the entrance building and the café: in the foyer a representative spiral staircase leads to the underground exhibition area.

The café, located next to the entrance building, is swivelled so that its long side faces the attractive open space of the Herkulesufer. The third building volume, which houses the deliveries area, workshops and offices, derives its volume and height from the neighbouring wing of the Gropius building that flanks the street. The existing building houses events spaces, a ‘Schaudepot’ (display depot), the archive and offices.

credits

architect: EM2N  |  client: Stiftung Bauhaus Dessau  |  status: Competition (2015)  |  competition: Bauhaus Museum Dessau  |  clasification: selected  |  location: Berlin, Germany (52.5063628, 13.3516022)  |  climate: Continental, Temperate  |  materials: glass, metal  |  environments: Riverside, Urban  |  visualizer: Studio  |  scale: 6.700 m2 medium  |  types: cultural, museum  |  views: 2.407

same competition (+9)

Burak Mangut | Jorge Vidal | EM2N | Nussmüller | JA studio | Architects for Urbanity | Gonzalez Hinz Zabala, Sastre Vielba | Studio BÄNG | Guerra De Rossa Arquitectos, Pedro Livni | Fala