Client: Randaberg municipality and Jærmuseet
Status: Competition (2015)
Location: Tungevågen, Norway
Climate: Oceanic / maritime, Temperate
Types: Cultural, Cultural center
The idea of the project is suggested by the site. The site is the project. The project is for the site.
– Colonize the place, creating a new place in the landscape,
– The roofs are laid out as recognizable elements into the landscape, like pieces brought by the sea.
At the site we can see: the sea, the waves, the grass, the rocks. The storms, the wind, the snow; also we see the sun, the shadow, the wood.
People discovering the building; Firstly they get into the pitched roof buildings, watching the exhibition and afterwards they achieve the outside view and re-discover the landscape.
All 4 buildings, different volumes, form a single, continuous space.
– There is a main room containing the exhibits. Going up stairs/theater the visitor gets on the landscape (exterior) and through a wooden floor (like a carpet) is lead to the sea.
– The roof: traditional construction for the exterior; the inside is made in wood (large beams) and have multiple skylights, creating a unique space.
The project is ordered with 4 buildings:
– Entrance building: hall, shopping, wardrobe, ticket/info counter.
– Exhibitions: a single room, with a staircase-theatre inside. Connected to the sea.
– Cafe: coffee shop (kitchen), grandstand/theatre, idle space, exterior terrace.
– Auditoriums: main auditorium, dividable conferences room (ground floor) ,facilities & toilets (basement).